Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah lawmaker proposes lowering legal alcohol limit to .05

Default Utah lawmaker proposes lowering legal alcohol limit to .05

SALT LAKE CITY — A state legislator is proposing that Utah lower the legal blood alcohol concentration limit for driving from .08 to .05.

If successful, Utah would become the first state in the nation to do so, following in the footsteps of dozens of European and Asian countries that already have a .05 drunken driving limit.

In rough terms, that's about three drinks over the course of an hour for a 170-pound man and about two drinks over an hour for a woman weighing 130 pounds.

The sponsor of the proposal, Rep. Norman Thurston, R-Provo, said his intent is to save lives and start a culture shift around what constitutes “drunk” driving.

"We shouldn't have the public message that you're OK at .07," Thurston said. "You're not OK at .07. You're not OK at .06. In reality, you're not even OK at .02. But in terms of practicality and what the law should be, .05 seems to be that area where it makes sense to have the cutoff."

Many studies show that even a small amount of alcohol can impair driving. The National Transportation Safety Board recommended lowering the legal limit to .05 blood alcohol content in 2013, to little effect.

A National Highway Traffic Safety Administration study of 9,000 drivers published last year found that a .05 blood alcohol content level doubles a driver’s risk of crashing. Even at low alcohol levels, like .03 blood alcohol content, the risk of crashing increases by 20 percent.

By .08 blood alcohol content, drivers are four times more likely to crash, according to the study.

Still, alcohol is not the most common risk factor when it comes to fatal crashes.

According to the Utah Highway Safety Office, drunken driving was a contributing factor in about 13 percent of fatal crashes last year in Utah. Speed was a factor in 37 percent of deaths, and lack of seatbelt use was a factor in 31 percent.

Connor Boyack, president of the Libertas Institute, a libertarian think tank, said Thurston’s proposal would end up criminalizing Utahns and saddling them with legal complications with little positive effect.

He criticized DUI laws for penalizing people for drinking alcohol when they have not harmed another person.

"If anyone is driving recklessly, whether because they're intoxicated or texting or tired or distracted with a kid in the back seat, that's a reason to get them off the road or try to resolve the situation at roadside and help that person get home," Boyack said.

"Certainly, if that reckless behavior leads to harming another person, then serious penalties should come in," he added. "But without a victim, our position would be the Department of Public Safety should be focused on resolving that concern without punitive action."

Drunken driving thresholds used to be higher. It took a years of effort to lower them to .08 in the 1980s and '90s. Delaware, in 2004, was the last to reduce its legal limit to .08.

Researchers have found evidence that lowering the blood alcohol content limit to .08 resulted in a decrease of alcohol-related crashes by about 5 percent to 16 percent.

Thurston's proposal is supported by the Sutherland Institute, a conservative think tank, which made a push to lower the drunken driving threshold in Utah several years ago.

Sutherland Institute public policy director Derek Monson pointed out that the bill would not interfere with how law enforcement officials already operate.

Currently, Utahns can still face drunken driving charges if they fail a sobriety test and show evidence of impaired driving, even if they have a blood alcohol content level below .08.

"Nothing about lowering DUI levels to .05 means a highway patrolman is doing anything different," Monson said. "They're still going to pull people over when they see some problematic driving patterns. … It's not going to be this crazy thing where now we're going to go on mass campaigns to hit .06 drivers."

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=42731139&nid...ol-limit-to-05

Fuck this slimy mormon fuck

I am a Xenophobic Racist and continue to Post Stupid, Asinine Buillshit

Hell, it doesn't matter there. Only time in my life I've ever had a alcohol related issue with the law was in Utah. Blew well below the legal limit. Didn't matter- officers discretion. Like I asked him at the time- "Then what's the point on having a minimum level"?. He had no answer.

Few fries short of a happy meal FreakShowFanatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WTexasCrude View Post
    Hell, it doesn't matter there. Only time in my life I've ever had a alcohol related issue with the law was in Utah. Blew well below the legal limit. Didn't matter- officers discretion. Like I asked him at the time- "Then what's the point on having a minimum level"?. He had no answer.
    You couldn't pass the sobriety test even when you're below .08?

Trying too hard BadMotherFucker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FreakShowFanatic View Post
    He must have given him an IQ test instead

Stopped trying 10 posts ago Mr.Angry's Avatar

Most Mormons abstain from alcohol so this law wouldn't affect them. It would only affect the non-believers in Utah and they would be OK with that. Now try to pass a law saying that an old dude can't have three 13 YO wives and they would fight you tooth and nail but alcohol laws, they are OK because most counties are dry anyway.
    The Mormons are like the borg, they're gonna assimilate you or get rid of you.

Quote Originally Posted by BadMotherFucker View Post
    He must have given him an IQ test instead
    lol - For some people it's a stupidity test. Police officer: "OK sir, you're not drunk but you're a fucking idiot. Sorry I'm gonna have to arrest you.".

"Currently, Utahns can still face drunken driving charges if they fail a sobriety test and show evidence of impaired driving, even if they have a blood alcohol content level below .08."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Angry View Post
    Most Mormons abstain from alcohol so this law wouldn't affect them. It would only affect the non-believers in Utah and they would be OK with that. Now try to pass a law saying that an old dude can't have three 13 YO wives and they would fight you tooth and nail but alcohol laws, they are OK because most counties are dry anyway.
    The Mormons are like the borg, they're gonna assimilate you or get rid of you.
    That's where you're wrong. Apparently they don't have to be shown to have consumed any alcohol. If they can't pass the sobriety test they can be arrested. Ask WTC.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakShowFanatic View Post
    With flying colors. It was a Navajo State Trooper just back from his 2nd Iraq deployment. Total mental meltdown. The guy was a basket case.

Potato marinating in piss s.murph's Avatar

Fucking Muslims!

Quote Originally Posted by s.murph View Post
    Fucking Muslims!

It's .03 in japan. Doesn't stop them though lol

Quote Originally Posted by EvvanRenea View Post
    At that level, are you even allowed to use mouthwash? Good lord.

In three hours of the beginning of the day shift one work day there were 4 Japanese men that got arrested for being shitfaced trying to come on base. They don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by WTexasCrude View Post
    Did he mind the 6 pack you were drinking and cruising around with?

Trying too hard BadMotherFucker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EvvanRenea View Post
    It's tough to see their bloodshot eyes

Quote Originally Posted by BadMotherFucker View Post
    It's tough to see their bloodshot eyes
    lol they do bac tests randomly through the day

Quote Originally Posted by allwhitemeat View Post
    Did he mind the 6 pack you were drinking and cruising around with?
    Was coming home from temp 3 month job with GE Wind in Tehachapi, Cali. Stopped the first night in some St George Utah motel. Iced down some beers and watched TV. Next day visited Bryce Canyon, enjoyed the beautiful views throughout the entire state. Hit the Colorado River in the middle of nowhere and realized I had 3 beers left from the night before. Took 2 hours to enjoy the view from my chair. Almost the second I spotted my Best Western is when he lit me up.

Gold Medal Winner Smallest AV Olympics MikeOxlong's Avatar

don't drink and legislate