Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $132,000 costs for repair of luxury, $200,000 Aston Martin

Default $132,000 costs for repair of luxury, $200,000 Aston Martin

Imagine, for a second, you’d just shelled out $200,000 for a very rare sports car that was made famous by the James Bond movies.

Then, fast forward the dream scenario and picture a nightmare where you crash the car — a very lightly-used, Aston Martin DB9 in Skyfall silver — have only basic insurance and are facing a $132,000 repair bill.

That is, however, exactly the situation a Richmond resident, Jessica Liu, finds herself in, having driven the stunning limited edition — only 100 were made — for only a few kilometres before she inexplicably veered off the road and hit a large stone near Blundell and Garden City roads in December 2015.

It has been more than a year since Liu — who regularly travels to and from China on business — has driven the car and seven months since she has even seen it.

Since then, Liu’s 007 replica has been languishing in the luxury bodyshop of Burrard Autostrasse (BA) in Vancouver.

For almost a year, Liu, who lives near Blundell and No. 2 roads, has been at odds with the autoshop over their bill to bring her Aston Martin back to roadworthy condition.

To put things into perspective, a pot of the car’s silver paint, which is named after Bond movie Skyfall, chimes in at $900 and a single headlight registers at $7,000.

Neither of those items, however, form the crux of Liu’s contention, with her focus trained on the cost of a pair of brake rotors ($30,000, plus labour) and a completely new subframe ($25,000, plus labour).

“I’m not going to pay a cent; I don’t even want the car back anymore; I want a refund (from the dealer),” Liu, who is in her 30s, told the Richmond News via email from China.

“I don’t think it’s safe to drive. I just drove it for two weeks; I don’t trust the car, I don’t trust the dealer and I don’t trust the autoshop’s invoices.”

Liu, who told BA to stop working on her car last fall, questioned the need to buy a pair of rotors (brakes) when only one of them is chipped and claims she can get the subframe for $10,000 less somewhere else.

To compound her misery, Liu is being dinged $200 a day by BA for storage of the Aston Martin. On Monday, that fee was $18,000.

“I shouldn’t be paying storage fees for a car that isn’t finished,” she added.

Aston
    An Aston Martin sports car from Spectre, the latest episode of James Bond film, has sold at auction for £2,434,500 (approx. $3.6 million) - submitted
    Liu bought the car, which can cost $300,000 brand new, for a “bargain” $200,000 in June 2015 from Vancouver-based, luxury car dealer MCL.

After the accident a few months later, she called the dealership and was directed to BA, where the car was towed to.

An initial repair estimate a few days later rang in at around $24,000, before rising, under closer inspection to nearer $100,000 in January of last year.

Not happy with the estimate, Liu took the car to a Richmond repair shop, where she obtained a much cheaper quote for the subframe. However, she discovered the subframe can only be bought by an Aston Martin-approved technician and the only approved facility in B.C. is BA. In July 2016, she felt she had no choice but to take her car back into BA, where it has been since.

Unhappy with the subsequent bill, she sought legal advice in October and lawyers for each party have been duking it out ever since.

Explaining parts of the $132,000 bill, Frank Van Pykstra, co-owner of BA, said the brakes are ceramic and, therefore, “they can’t be machined” like regular brakes.

“This is a car that can go 250 kilometres per hour; we can’t take any chances, it has to be 100 per cent,” said Van Pykstra.

As for needing a pair of rotors and not just one, Van Pykstra said, “When you’re braking in this car, in any car really, the brakes need to be balanced. You can’t replace just one.”

The subframe, he said, is a “restricted part,” meaning only authorized shops can buy it. “I’m not sure how (Liu) could get the subframe for that price; it would have to be from a damaged car or something or from someone using the kind of certification that only a very few people have.”

As for the storage fees, Van Pykstra said he’ll waive them if the matter resolves soon.

“We’ve done everything we can for this customer,” he added.

“We’ve made her an offer, which is valid until this Friday; we will take $5,000 off her bill and waive the storage fees.”

ICBC, which is hiking basic insurance rates next year by 4.9 per cent, announced last November that, beginning this year, it will stop insuring luxury cars worth more than $150,000.

There are about 3,000 cars worth more than $150,000 insured in B.C. this year, a 30 per cent increase from three years ago. Many of them can be seen being driven around in Richmond.

- See more at: http://www.richmond-news.com/news/ri....wDNBlG5u.dpuf

132k for a repair...makes no sense.

Few fries short of a happy meal FreakShowFanatic's Avatar

Maybe she can sell it for parts.

I need a custom title! PimpDaddy's Avatar

Ban large stones that jump in front of cars!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic halflink's Avatar

She has a legitimate complaint. The Aston dealership recommended the shop, which provided a repair estimate of $24,000 only to up the cost to $100,000 and hold the car hostage.

I met some guy last month that has this 2010 mercades sports coupe. He said somehow water splashed in it and hit his factory stereo head unit. He took it to be replaced, dropped it off without even getting a quote. Picked it up and the bill was $6500!! It was a basic head unit... no touch screen, no nav. I think the dealers were assholes for not calling him and saying " hey, you know what this will cost you??" He could have gotten a much better aftermarket unit that has all the bells and whistles for like $400.
    These luxury car fucking crazy with their parts and labor!

I need a custom title! JackCoughsAlot's Avatar

Women drivers
    Asian drivers
    Take your pick

Quote Originally Posted by RockDork View Post
    I met some guy last month that has this 2010 mercades sports coupe. He said somehow water splashed in it and hit his factory stereo head unit. He took it to be replaced, dropped it off without even getting a quote. Picked it up and the bill was $6500!! It was a basic head unit... no touch screen, no nav. I think the dealers were assholes for not calling him and saying " hey, you know what this will cost you??" He could have gotten a much better aftermarket unit that has all the bells and whistles for like $400.
    These luxury car fucking crazy with their parts and labor!
    Many head units now control the HVAC and heated seats

Quote Originally Posted by halflink View Post
    She has a legitimate complaint. The Aston dealership recommended the shop, which provided a repair estimate of $24,000 only to up the cost to $100,000 and hold the car hostage.
    She crashed a 1 of 100 car with only basic liability insurance, she deserved what she got.

UJ's Official Horndog hamcannon's Avatar

stupid bitch

Keeping this board rolling since 1969 kwebber's Avatar

She lives in Richmond? That stupid bitch is guilty of DWC (driving while Chinese). She probably caused the accident, that wrecked her car. The worst/scariest drivers I've ever seen are Chinese drivers in Richmond. Fuck that stupid bitch.

If she can afford the car she can afford the repairs

UJ's Official Horndog hamcannon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    If she can afford the car she can afford the repairs

or at the very least, the proper insurance, what a dumb twat

Just because she didn't have adequate insurance, doesn't mean the shop should overcharge her.

Quote Originally Posted by B-tender View Post
    Just because she didn't have adequate insurance, doesn't mean the shop should overcharge her.
    Correct, she was stupid for not having full insurance coverage, but apparently the car wasn't financed if she only had liability. Maybe she had the car in storage and couldn't resist taking it out for a spin around the block. Bad idea, and an expensive one, but that's still no reason for the shop to change its estimate from $24,000 to $100,000+.

Are they supposed to give a substandard repair and get sued when the silly sideways cunt kills someone with it?

An initial repair estimate a few days later rang in at around $24,000, before rising, under closer inspection to nearer $100,000 in January of last year.

So this "luxury bodyshop", recommended by the Aston dealership estimated repairs at $24,000, but didn't know a pair of rotors cost $30,000? Now they're holding the car hostage. Sounds legit.